Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sheridan, Oregon - 1950 Disc Sighting On A Farm

Posted: December 27, 2007

Date: 1950 Time: Daytime sighting (morning time)

A few weeks ago I wrote to ask if you would be interested in a UFO story that happened to me as a young adolescent in Sheridan, Oregon. Due to circumstances I have been delayed with the follow up story.

In 1950 I was living with my parents in MC Minnville, Oregon. This is a farm/lumber community 30 miles southwest of Portland. The location of this incident happened 9 miles west in the yet smaller community of Sheridan. The whole of the area lies in the Yamhill Valley, a beautiful, fertile valley of farms and orchards.

I am sure you are familiar with the Trent UFO photos of May 11, 1950, very impressive photos and never debunked after 56 years. Although a long line of debunkers have tried.

The first week of July 1950 I was spending time with my uncle and his wife on their 1100 acre farm a few miles from Sheridan, the farm lay along a main connector road to the northern Oregon coast. The Trent photographs were taken on May 11, 1950. The incident I am about to relate happened on the first week of July 1950. I was 13 years old that summer which in 1950 MC Minnville meant picking berries, nuts, mowing lawns, scouts, playing sand-lot baseball and not much more. For fun there was always bike riding, swimming at the city pool, and going to the movies.

During early summer I spent as much time as possible on my uncle's farm as I loved the place and I adored he and his wife. Besides he paid me 2.00 dollars a day to help with the chores, a kid back then was lucky to make a buck a week.

I always got up early and helped my uncle milk the few cows he had. The milk he used himself or sold to the neighbors. My uncle was a ham radio operator and would always arise at 4:00 a.m. to play with his radio equipment. Around 6:30 a.m. he would start the milking machine while I fed the cows and shoveled up after them. I remember my uncle being in a grumpy mood as all he could get on his short wave was static that morning.

The farm was located on two adjoining levels of land. One level was along the river, the rest of the farm was on a upper bench of land that adjoined the highway. As we finished the milking, my uncle noticed the sun glinting off something among the trees by the Tamhill River, about where he had his irrigation pumps. He thought perhaps a neighbor was down there, calling it to my attention and he said we should run down and see if anyone needed help.

As we were making ready to go back to the big house about 50 yards from the barn. I glanced toward the river again, where the supposed car had been. Lo and behold something was moving vertically toward the tree tops.

I went out to the loading ramp on the eastside of the barn for a better look, where my uncle joined me. It had soon became obvious it was not a car or an aircraft. The craft cleared the top of the trees, about a quarter of a mile away from our position.

As we watched the object, it wobbled in an almost straight line toward the barn from which we were observing, it was round with a smooth top and bottom and no protrusions. As it went over the barn my uncle estimated it was about 40 feet above the roof of the barn. Immediately passing the barn the object dropped suddenly and looked as if it was going to crash. Then it straightened out, regained altitude and moved towards the highway.

It then swept to the right and went over the neighbor's farm and traveled along the highway accelerating at a high rate of speed and disappeared to the east. My uncle estimated the disc was 30 feet in diameter and 8 to 12 feet thick. He was a licensed pilot and had an eye for such things. Even though it flew across a freshly harvested wheat field. It raised no dust or debris and was absolutely silent.

My uncle was a well know farmer and businessman in the area. He didn't report the incident for that reason, however several people did see the object and made reports. My uncle had a friend with the State Police and a buddy with the County Sheriff. They said that switch boards were jammed for hours between Salem (the state capital) and Portland on the morning in question.

The Trent farm was no more than 3 miles as the crow flies from my uncle's place. However the two flying saucers did not look alike. The Trent saucer had something that looked like an antenna projection from it's top. The one we saw was perfectly smooth and looked like a polished metal.

Brian there is more to this story. Let me know if you are interested in hearing it. Please let me know. I have been pawing in the dirt investigating UFOs since that day. I have heard many seemingly impossible stories. Yet ! Sincerely.

Thank you to the witness for the wonderful report and I will make plans to contact the gentleman.

Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research. email: hbccufo@telus.net Website: http://www.hbccufo.org http://www.brianvike.com, http://www.hbccufo.com, http://www.hbccufo.net HBCC UFO Research International: http://www.hbccufointernational.org/

HBCC UFO Research, Box 1091 Houston, British Columbia, Canada - VOJ 1ZO

No comments: